Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Beyond your normal headache

I have suffered from migraine headaches since i was probably about 16 years old. They are not fun, in fact i dread them. I usually average 1 migraine every three months, but sometimes i get more or less. I have also come to the conclusion that they are hormonal, meaning i get them roughly the same time during a month, oh the joys of being a woman. Really the only time i have gotten a break from these lovely headaches was while i was pregnant and usually for the first 6-9 months after having a child. Now this was great, but i don't think i can keep having children as a treatment for my migraines:)
So this week i have been having problems with them again. I knew one was coming Monday around noon because i ALWAYS have an aura before hand. I hate this because not only do i have a headache, but i also can not see anything!! So for roughly 20 minutes my vision is messed up and i can feel everything start to tense up...its a great time. Usually the worst of the headaches only last about 2-3 hours, and if i can rest they pain is not unbearable. After the worst of the headache is gone, i am just left with a horrible ache in the back of my head. I don't notice the ache unless i bend over and then it feels like a sledge hammer is going off...it really hurts! So Monday after the headache subsided i went about my normal daily activities, but instead of bending over (and as a mom of 4 i do a lot of bending over, i tie shoes, pick up shoes, pick up kids, pick up the junk the kids leave behind etc. you get the picture) anyway stead of bending to do these various jobs, i decided to squat, it hurt less...or at least at the time it hurt less. Yesterday morning i woke up, again with an aura so i knew i was going to have another milder migraine that morning. So again yesterday i did more squatting and less bending. By yesterday afternoon my head was no longer the only thing in pain!! I don't remember the last time i did squats, probably years since i really don't exercise. I keep thinking i should, but after the pain i was in yesterday, i may not ever start!! I guess i used some muscles in my legs that i don't normally use, and it hurt!! Did i mention it hurt really bad??
Today i am still in pain, in both my head and my legs, but i am back to bending over, i will deal with the pain in my head, but my legs need a break!!

So what is my point with all of this? Migraines suck!! Also i am very out of shape.

No comments: